PURPOSE & AIMS
Our charity’s purposes as set out in the objects contained in the company’s Memorandum of Association are:
The promotion of equality and diversity for the public benefit in the local government area of Hertfordshire and its surroundings by:
- the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation and religion or belief;
- advancing education and raising awareness in equality and diversity;
- promoting activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds;
- conducting or commissioning research on equality and diversity issues and publishing the results to the public;
- cultivating a sentiment in favour of equality and diversity
HEC aims to promote equality and diversity through education and training, fostering good relations, supporting equality organisations and networks representing people who share the 'protected characteristics' covered within UK equality legislation and the interests of their communities, strengthening their voice as need be to ensure it is heard and carrying out research to influence public policy at a local level, in regional discussions, and nationally.
Empower voluntary organisations, groups and networks to influence positive change towards and equal and fair Hertfordshire
OUR CURRENT PRIORITIES
- Coordinate (minimum of 3) forum meetings per year for the expression and exchange of views to develop a strong collective voice in relation to equality issues in Hertfordshire.
- Deepen our understanding of current position in relation to equality work across Hertfordshire.
- Strengthen partnerships with a focus on equality and by establishing regular equality meetings
- Through co-operation and co-ordination, to strengthen links between communities of interest, while also attempting to expand voluntary sector engagement with statutory services which is truly representative of Hertfordshire’s diversity.
- Our current priority to ensure that views of partnerships and disadvantaged communities are reflected through consultations.
- Facilitate dialogue between identified groups/organisations and statutory partners; providing advice, support and capacity building services around equality
Support and Advocacy
- We provide information and support to individuals and voluntary organisation on Hate Crime
- We provide information, and support to individuals experiencing racism or racial discrimination.
- We work closely with voluntary sector to help support and develop their infrastructure.
- We act as a collective voice for disadvantaged groups and organisation in the County.
- We identify equality issues affecting the community and work in partnership with our voluntary sector partners and local agencies to resolve these.
- We advise local public, private and voluntary organisations on how to promote equality and social inclusion, and also how to involve Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities with local service plans, and deliver accessible and culturally sensitive services.
- We provide critical review and advice to local public agencies on the implementation of their statutory public sector equality duties.
- We raise awareness and inform individuals and organisations on local equality matters, particularly key areas where discrimination is manifest, such as stop and search, employment, training, health, integration of refugees and asylum seekers etc.
- We support the development of our local community through encouraging and promoting the full participation of Hertfordshire diverse communities.
- We provide a forum for consultation on key local decision-making within the Hertfordshire
Who can use our services?
Anyone living, working or studying in the Hertfordshire