PURPOSE & AIMS
Our charity’s purposes as set out in the objects contained in the company’s memorandum of association are:
The promotion of equality and diversity for the public benefit in the local government area of Hertfordshire and its surroundings by:
- the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of race , gender , disability ,age, sexual orientation and religion or belief;
- advancing education and raising awareness in equality and diversity;
- promoting activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds;
- conducting or commissioning research on equality and diversity issues and publishing the results to the public;
- cultivating a sentiment in favour of equality and diversity
The Hertfordshire Equality Council is an independent organisation. We provide practical and pragmatic advice to individuals and organisations on issues surrounding equalities. Our bold, innovative and solution focused approach provides a platform for organisations and individuals to openly discuss and share best practice in tackling barriers and promoting access and Human Rights in Hertfordshire. HEC will offer an independent means of engagement which aims to provide candid and constructive relationships across the county.
OUR CURRENT PRIORITIES
- Coordinate (minimum of 3) forum meetings per year for the expression and exchange of views to develop a strong collective voice in relation to equality issues in Hertfordshire.
- Deepen our understanding of current position in relation to equality work across Hertfordshire.
- Strengthen partnerships with a focus on equality and by establishing regular equality meetings
- Through co-operation and co-ordination, to strengthen links between communities of interest, while also attempting to expand voluntary sector engagement with statutory services which is truly representative of Hertfordshire’s diversity.
- Through consultation, scrutiny, and debate to formulate responses to proposals from statutory partners, emerging issues and changes in legislation, ensuring that these reflect the views of the partnership and the disadvantaged communities.
- Facilitate dialogue between identified groups/organisations and statutory partners; providing advice, support and capacity building services around equality